The Mental Health Crisis in America – Keynote Speaker Profile: Peter Fonagy, PhD
Peter Fonagy, PhD, OBE, FMedSci, FAcSS, FBA, is head of the Division of Psychology and Language Sciences at University College London (UCL) and chief executive of the Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families (London)
Dr. Fonagy will give the Session 3 keynote presentation, “The Consequences of Losing Epistemic Trust: A Perspective from the UK on Mental Disorders that Persist and Resist Treatment,” on Sunday morning at the Austen Riggs Centennial Conference, “The Mental Health Crisis in America.”
Learn more or register for the conference at: www.austenriggs.org/CentennialConference
Dr. Fonagy will speak about the interface of the intrapsychic and social context of patients with persistent disorders—aka complex psychiatric patients. He will speak about the scientific inadequacy of current diagnostic systems and the puzzle of the uni-dimensionality of mental health, which was recently affirmed by the Lancet Commission on Global Mental Health. He will address the social biology of persistent mental health problems, focusing on what he considers as the core pathology in terms of learning or adaptation in these individuals rooted in a pervasive absence of trust. He will note the value of treatment programs like Riggs’ and the process of change, which long term community-based treatment affords in addressing the core problems of individuals with persistent mental health difficulties. He will describe how mental health policy in the UK addresses these concerns.
- Nolte, Tobias & Campbell, Chloe & Fonagy, Peter. (2019). A mentalization-based and neuroscience-informed model of severe and persistent psychopathology.
- Steptoe, A., Marteau, T., Fonagy, P., & Abel, K. (2019). ACEs: Evidence, Gaps, Evaluation and Future Priorities. Social Policy and Society, 18(3), 415-424. doi:10.1017/S1474746419000149
- Bateman, A. W., & Fonagy, P.(Eds.). (2019). Handbook of mentalizing in mental health practice (2ndEdition). Arlington, VA, US: American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc. (In press).
- Peter Fonagy: Combating a Mental Health Crisis, October 2, 2018
- Peter Fonagy: How a Borderline Individual is Created, April 18, 2017
- Borderline Notes – The Borderline Interview Archive – Peter Fonagy
In the News
- Education Secretary Damian Hinds sets out new plans to bring specialist NHS mental health services to UK schools for young people, Open Access Government, Jul 12, 2019
- Pioneering centre with a mission: to break the cycle of school exclusions, gangs and knife crime, Camden New Journal, June 27, 2019
- Therapy saved a refugee child. Fifty years on, he’s leading a mental health revolution, The Guardian, April 27, 2019
- Technology cuts children off from adults, warns expert, The Guardian, April 27, 2019