Part Time approximately 20 hours per week salaried
The Greenhouse Instructor is responsible for teaching patients (students) all aspects of horticulture at the ARC greenhouse and surrounding gardens. The Greenhouse Instructor is responsible for developing and maintaining the greenhouse and gardens as an engaging place for students to learn. The Instructor is responsible to provide a range of opportunities that are responsive to patient interest. The Greenhouse Instructor will work collaboratively with other members of the Activities Program to support patients taking up the role of student, enhancing their existing strengths, and exploring their capacity for creative work. Requires flexibility in schedule to meet the needs of the plants and students.
Required qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree. Advanced/Continuing Education in related specialty strongly preferred.
- Minimum 5 years experience in professional horticulture environment or related field, with a demonstrated knowledge of greenhouse plants, herbs, annuals, and perennials.
- Teaching experience at public or private school (Secondary, High School, College or University level) strongly preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, with demonstrated ability to effectively work independently, as well as with diverse staff and a psychiatric student population of various ages.
- Ability to plan, organize, and present horticulture workshops to a range of participants.
- Ability to maintain professional boundaries and demonstrate respect for patients at all times.
- Ability to safely work with and store sharp objects, gardening tools/equipment.
- Ability to bend and stoop frequently. Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds independently.