Clinical Systems Strategic Initiative
The Austen Riggs Center exists, first and foremost, as a place where people can bring their troubles, learn about themselves, and discover resources and support for confronting the challenges of their lives.
The Clinical Systems Strategic Initiative focuses on our core clinical mission and has three parts:
- Redesigning the infrastructure that supports our ongoing clinical work.
- For example, beginning in the fall of 2017, a new interdisciplinary Grand Rounds Program for all members of the Riggs clinical staff will include a combination of staff presentations of current projects, invited guest speakers, and collaborative reading and study groups.
- Enhancing specific clinical programs.
- Seeking ways to offer our services to new groups of people.
- We are working with the Brien Center, a local mental health agency, to provide clinical consultation for their therapists with our postdoctoral Fellows in psychiatry and psychology.
- We are also piloting a new service – Intensive Dynamic Assessment – for people who are seeking an in-depth understanding of a set of problems in a relatively brief period of time, without entering into residential treatment.
Steering Committee Members
Margaret Parish, PhD, Director of Patient Care and Initiative Leader
Andrew J. Gerber, MD, PhD, Medical Director/CEO
Samar Habl, MD, Director of Admissions
Nicholas A. Holliday, MD, Director of Psychopharmacology and Medical Services
Jennifer Stevens, PhD, ABPP, Director of Training
Margaret Kotarba, LICSW, Associate Director of Clinical Social Work
Donna Elmendorf, PhD, Director of Therapeutic Community Program
Barbara Turner Hart, MA, BSN, RN, Director of Nursing
Christina Biedermann, PsyD, Director of Psychological Testing and Coordinator of the Friday Night Guest Lecture Series and Grand Rounds
Angela Wilson, LMHC, member of the Therapeutic Community Program (Health and Wellness)
Margaret Kotarba, LICSW, Associate Director of Clinical Social Work (Family Work)
Jennifer Stevens, PhD, Director of Training (Clinical Consultation)
Spencer Biel PsyD, Associate Director of the Therapeutic Community Program (Intensive Dynamic Assessment)