U.S. News & World Report Rates the Austen Riggs Center
A Best Hospital in Psychiatry Nationwide
- The goal of treatment at the Austen Riggs Center is to come to terms with emotional suffering and to facilitate growth in the individual’s capacity to work, play and love.
- We are completely open and voluntary. Patient freedom and responsibility is expected and respected.
- Our treatment emphasis focuses on interpersonal relationships , the meaning within symptoms and the authority of the patient.
- We have multi-disciplinary treatment teams consisting of a psychotherapist, psychopharmacologist, social worker, nurse, community staff member and substance use disorder counselor. The team provide treatment and support from admission to discharge.
- Each patient has individual psychotherapy four times each week with a doctor on staff.
- Our social workers conduct individual casework with each patient.
- We also offer family consultation and/or therapy.
- In 2012, with 61 clinicians and an average patient census of 59, our clinician to patient ratio was 1:1.
- Our milieu offers a therapeutic community , groups, nursing services and an innovative Activities Program led by artists and craftsmen.
- The Austen Riggs Center is a place where “treatment-resistant” patients become people taking charge of their lives.
- Our minimum length of stay is six weeks and culminates in a comprehensive case conference.
- Our average length of stay is five months.
- We treat adults, 18 and over, who have a wide range of emotional difficulties.
- We are located in the quintessential New England town of Stockbridge, Massachusetts, and two hours from Boston and New York.
- We were founded in 1919 by Austen Fox Riggs, M.D. and have capacity for 65 patients.
- We are a fully licensed and Joint Commission accredited hospital-based continuum of care from inpatient to residential, day treatment and aftercare.
- We are consistently ranked a U.S. News & World Report “Best Hospital” in Psychiatry.
- We work with patients and their families to obtain insurance coverage for treatment. However, the individual accepting financial responsibility for a patient’s treatment is ultimately responsible for the cost.
- Fees are all-inclusive and range from $220 to $1,200 per day based on program and intensity of services.
- The initial six-week intensive evaluation and treatment phase requires a pre-payment of $47,000.
- A fee reduction of up to 25% is possible based on financial need. See our Financial Assistance policy.