Riggs Psychiatrists Presenting at AAPDP, PsychSIGN and APA
Each year, Riggs psychiatrists attend, present and engage with the American Psychiatric Association (APA) Annual Meeting and several other meetings organized around the APA Annual Meeting. This year, seven Riggs psychiatrists will be in Toronto, teaching, speaking and presenting on topics related to psychiatry, viewed through a psychodynamic lens. See below for a full list of where and when to find our psychiatrists:
Riggs at the American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry (AAPDP) Annual Conference
AAPDP provides psychiatrists with a forum for exchanging ideas, a paradigm for leadership in advocating for psychoanalytic principles in psychiatry and a voice for promoting psychodynamic understanding in the evaluation and treatment of psychiatric patients. Riggs clinicians David Mintz, MD, and Eric Plakun, MD, will be presenting at and/or attending this year’s AAPDP conference:
Thursday, May 14
- Executive Council of Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry – Eric Plakun, MD
Friday, May 15
- 12:00pm – 1:55pm Paper Session I: Therapeutic Alliance and Somatization – David L. Mintz, MD, will present “Alliance, Authority and Models of Patient Centered Pharmacological Care.”
Saturday, May 16
- 12:00pm – 1:30pm Residents Luncheon – David L. Mintz, MD, will present “Meaning and Medication.”
For more information on the AAPDP, visit: www.aapdp.org.
Riggs at the Psychiatry Student Interest Group Network (PsychSIGN) Annual Conference
PsychSIGN is a national network of medical students interested in psychiatry, connecting students across the country to their peers, to psychiatry residents, and to practicing psychiatrists from a broad range of subspecialties. Riggs clinicians Eric Plakun, MD; David Mintz, MD; David Flynn, MD; and Erin Seery, MD, will be presenting at and/or attending this year’s PsychSIGN conference:
Saturday, May 16
- 9:00am in the “Plenary Room” of Fairmont Royal York – Eric Plakun, MD, will present “Psychiatry’s false assumptions and the price we pay for them.”
- Erin Seery, MD, will present “What I wish I had known about psychiatry residency and beyond.”
Sunday, May 17
10:00am – 11:30am – David Mintz, MD, will be at the PsychSIGN Residency Fair
For more information on PsychSIGN, visit: psychsign.org.
Riggs at the American Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting
The American Psychiatric Association (APA), founded in 1844, is the world’s largest psychiatric organization with more than 36,000 psychiatrists as members. The theme of this year’s APA Annual Meeting is “Psychiatry: Integrating Body and Mind, Heart and Soul.” Riggs clinicians Bari Belnap, MD; David Flynn, MD; Samar Habl, MD; David Mintz, MD; Eric Plakun, MD; and Ed Shapiro, MD will be presenting at this year’s APA Annual Meeting:
Monday, May 18
- “Psychodynamic Psychopharmacology: Applying Practical Psychodynamics to Improve Pharmacologic Outcomes With Treatment Resistant Patients” – 9:00am – 4:00pm in the Birchwood Ballroom, Mezzanine of the Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel Director: David Mintz, MD; Faculty: David Mintz, MD / David F. Flynn, MD / Samar Habl, MD / Barri A. Belnap, MD
- Convocation of Distinguished Fellows in Exhibit Hall A, North, Level 300 at the Toronto Convention Centre – 5:30-6:30pm – David Mintz, MD, will be inducted as a Distinguished Fellow of the APA
Tuesday, May 19
- “A Psychodynamic Approach to Treatment-Resistant Mood Disorders: Breaking Through Treatment Resistance by Focusing on Comorbid Personality Disorders” – 9:00am – 4:00pm in Sheraton Hall E, Lower Concourse at the Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel Director: Eric Plakun, MD; Faculty: Edward R. Shapiro, MD / David Mintz, MD
Wednesday, May 20
- “Dynamic Therapy With Self-Destructive Borderlines: An Alliance Based Intervention for Suicide” – 11:00am – 12:30pm in Room 701A, Level 700, South Building at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre Chair: Eric Plakun, MD
- APA Psychotherapy Caucus – 2nd Annual Meeting – 1:00 – 3:00pm in the Simcoe-Dufferin Room, 2nd Floor at the Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel featuring a presentation by David Mintz, MD – “A Survey of the Caucus Membership” – For more information contact Eric Plakun, MD, at Eric.Plakun@AustenRiggs.net.
- “Can Early Career Psychiatrists Provide Psychotherapy in Today’s Health Care Environment?” American College of Psychoanalysts – 3:30 – 5:00pm in Room 802 A-B, Level 800, South Building at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre Chair: Norman A. Clemens, MD; Speakers: Aileen Kim, MD / Eric Plakun, MD / Andrea Bandfield, MD
For more information about the APA, visit: www.psychiatry.org.